Saturday 4 April 2009

A little bit of wonder...




I have been collecting buttons for quite a while now, I have a craft project in mind that I need quite a few for... I think I am nearly there! (I will post a shot of the finished product) But they never fail to capture my attention. What is it about buttons? Best kept in a tin so they make a gorgeous sound when you are riffling through.

When I was young I would be amused for hours searching through my nan and mother's selection. Carefully choosing my favourites. Then lining them up and admiring my choice. I would then ask everyone around me to choose their favourites too and be fascinated by what they chose and why. They seem to say a lot about a person... to me anyway!

Now as I have my own collection (in a tin!) I can't help but wonder about their history. Who did they belong to, what garment did they adorn? Were they cherished or did they fall away un-noticed? Were they worn amongst hundreds down the aisle holding precious memories or solitarily catch tears that fell in moments of sorrow? Such little things that can hold such significance. And now they have found their way to me, in my little corner of the forest! And you know what... whatever the past history... they are most certainly loved now!

3 comments:

Jac said...

Wow! I am impressed, someone else who shares my love of buttons. When I was a youngster I would always sort through the button collection belonging to my nana. I'm not sure what the fascination was but I used to love them. I need to build up my button colection. I am very interested in what you are going to do with all your buttons! :)

Suvarna said...

I do love a collection, and these are a fine assortment, filled with memories and herstory.
:-)

Anonymous said...

I never thought about buttons this way...now I surely will look at them differently after reading this.

sazzy